Imagine the best fried chicken you’ve ever had. Now imagine if it wasn’t even fried. Crazy, right? Not with this easy air-fryer fried chicken recipe! The air fryer works some kind of magic on the chicken, and it crisps up into perfectly crunchy chicken as if it had been deep-fried. That buttermilk marinade makes the chicken so tender and juicy and gives it just the right amount of heat. It might just be our favorite chicken recipe ever.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
YIELDS: 3 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS 10 MINS
- 2 lb. bone-in skin-on chicken pieces (mix of cuts)
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. hot sauce
- 3 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Trim chicken of excess fat and place in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Pour mixture over chicken, making sure all pieces are coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- In a shallow bowl or pie dish, combine flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and seasonings. Working with one at a time, remove chicken from buttermilk, shaking off excess buttermilk. Place in flour mixture, turning to coat.
- Place coated chicken in basket of air fryer, working in batches as necessary to not overcrowd the basket. Cook at 400° until chicken is golden and internal temperature reaches 165°, 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!